Sunday, May 17, 2009

My Predictions So Far...

Well boys and girls, it appears that I am not clairvoyant after all. From my original pics here, I no longer have a single horse in the race. In my final four, I had Boston, Philly, San Jose, and Vancouver. Welp, not a single one of those teams is playing hockey right now. Instead they're playing golf. Good thing I'm a scientist and not a psychic.

So, let's start from Round 1 and see how I did.

Eastern Conference:

1 Boston 8 Montreal

I picked Boston to win it in 5 games, and they dominated the Habs in 4.

2 Washington 7 New York

I picked the Caps to win in 6, and they came back from being down 3-1 to win in 7. I said earlier that the only way they can win is to score more goals than Theodore let in. Well, the Caps didn't give themselves that opportunity and replaced Theodore with Simeon Varlamov in Game 2. This move helped push the Caps to the second round.

3 New Jersey 6 Carolina

Here, I picked a very tight race with the Canes prevailing in 7 Games. Maybe I am psychic?

4 Philadelphia 5 Pittsburgh

I got this series all wrong. I picked the Flyers in 7, but the Pens pretty much dominated them and won in 6.

Western Conference

1 San Jose 8 Anaheim

I think this series surprised everyone. I picked the Sharks to win it in 5, but they completely choked. Anaheim won the round in 6.

2 Detroit 7 Columbus

I figured Detroit would make short work of Columbus. I predicted it would take 5 games, it only took 4.

3 Vancouver 6 St. Louis

I really thought that St. Louis would put up a bit of a fight for this series. I picked the Canucks to win in 6, but they closed it out with a sweep.

4 Chicago 5 Calgary

I figured the Hawks to be slightly more powerful than they were. I predicted it would only take 5 games to dispatch the Flames, but it took 6.


Final Grade for Round 1. I gotta say, I'm not to disappointed in my first round picks. I picked all the correct teams except for San Jose and Philly to move on. That's 75%. So I'll give myself a B- for that one. We're not on a 10 point scale here :)

Round 2

Eastern conference

1 Boston 6 Carolina

I did predict the matchup to occur, but the actual outcome was very different (thankfully so) than what I predicted. I predicted the Bruins to just outmatch the Canes and win in six, but the Canes pulled through in 7 games, in overtime.

2 Caps 4 Pittsburgh (I predicted Philly)

So I thought that Philly would've won the first round, and this round as well. Either way I predicted the Caps to lose. I thought they would lose in 6, but it took 7 games for the Pens to win.

Western Conference

2 Detroit 8 Anaheim (Vancouver)

I figured that Detroit would be playing Vancouver in this matchup and that Vancouver would have won in 5. Well, Detroit beat Anaheim in a thrilling 7 game series.

3 Vancouver 4 Chicago

Here, I thought Chicago was going to be playing San Jose. I thought this was the year that the Sharks wouldn't choke, but they choked more than most years. Chicago proved me even more wrong and knocked out my predicted Stanley Cup winner in Vancouver in 6 games.

Grades for the 2nd round. F! I picked no one correctly. However, I did make my picks before the 1st round even started. So, F+! Oh yeah.

So, since there is no team that I predicted in the 3rd or final round, there will be no reason for me to post how I did for those either. I'll just go ahead and give me a preemptive F, minus. Minus.



No comments: