Monday, July 6, 2009

Pics and Pucks

The past week has seen quite a bit of hockey news, with the Free-Agent signing day of July 1.

Marion Hossa signed with the Chicago Blackhawks for more money per year than I will make in 105 years. Does he enjoy signing with his previous teams' rivals, or is it just me?

The Canes re-signed both Erik Cole and Chad LaRose (the Chuck Norris of Hockey) to two-year contracts. Both players tested the open market, if only for a little while, before deciding to stay in Raleigh.

The more recent news is that Restricted Free Agent Tuomo Ruutu has filed for arbitration. I guess the Canes offered him his qualifying offer to retain his rights, but it must not have been up to what Ruutu wanted. Ruutu has definitely earned a raise over what he made last season. I would imagine he may only want a 1-year deal, arbitrators normally give 1-year deals, so that he can become an Unrestricted Free Agent next summer and cash in a bit more. I'd bet that the Canes have probably offered him a multi-year deal for a bit of a hometown discount.


And recently, we went down to the beach for the July 4th weekend for a nice little vacation. Here's some pics from the trip.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Alan - I came across your Milk Chocolate Stout recipe posting on the hopville website and I was wondering how that brew turned out. I'm a rookie homebrewer with only my third and fourth batches fermenting right now. One of those happens to be a Milk Chocolate Stout that I hope I did not screw up by adding too much lactose and cocoa powder.

Here's your recipe that I found:
http://hopville.com/recipe/53586/sweet-stout-recipes/milk-chocolate-stout

Alan McDougal said...

Hey Andrew,

As it turns out, I actually haven't brewed the Milk Chocolate Stout yet. I came up with the recipe in spring and decided I'd rather have the stout over the winter, so I would brew it in late summer.

However, most of the recipes I've found have been pretty close to those numbers of cocoa and lactose, give or take 1/2 a pound either way, on either ingredient.

Probably my best advice to you (if you haven't already), would be to go over to

www.homebrewtalk.com

There is an absolute wealth of knowledge on that site. It's a home brewing forum community where many experienced, and some not, homebrewers share ideas and tips.

Read up on all the Stickies in the Beginner's Forum and General Techniques. You'll be occupied for days if not weeks.

I hope this helps you out, and again I'm sorry I can't help you on my recipe, as the beer isn't made quite yet.

Anonymous said...

Cool pics