Monday, March 1, 2010

Finally! Jennifer's Cherry Wheat!

For anyone who's been following what's been in the Pipeline for the 9 months or so, you'll know that I've had "Jennifer's Cherry Wheat" in the "On Deck" position for quite some time now. Well, it's finally come to pass that this beer has been brewed!

I brewed it up on Saturday in between the USA demolishing Finland in the Semi-Finals of Olympic Hockey, and the USA losing a heartbreaker to Canada on Sunday.

The SWMBO has long loved Sam Adams' Cherry Wheat beer. It's been one of her favorites for quite sometime now and I told her that I'd do my best to brew her a clone, but with the incubation of the future brewer in her belly the beer had to be put on hold. But, since we're getting so close to the due date, I went ahead and brewed it up so it'd be ready by the time she'd be ready to partake again.

Here's the recipe:

5.5 lbs of Dry Wheat Malt Extract.

4 oz of Crystal 20L

.5 oz. of Magnum 11.2% at 60 min.

.25 oz of Cascade 5.2% at 10 min.

With 5 minutes left in the boil I added 1 pound of cherries that I pureed in the blender.

The Original gravity came out to 1.060. Beersmith had guessed 1.048 without considering the added sugars of the cherries. The true Original Gravity, and first Final gravity is anyone's guess though. That's because once the beer is finished in the primary, I'm going to throw in another pound of cherries in with the beer in the secondary. That will probably restart some fermentation with the additional sugars. So it'll be really hard to tell how much alcohol will be in this beer, and how sweet it will be. It could range anywhere from 5-7% ABV. Just don't tell the SWMBO, something like that might knock her socks off!

The only glitch in the recipe is that I had to use Wyeast American Ale I instead of the American Wheat Ale yeast I had originally planned for. The local homebrew store had run out the yeast I needed.

This will be the first beer I've made with real fruit made with it, and I'm hoping for a final product that doesn't taste like cherry cough syrup!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to try it! Puck

Anonymous said...

woo hoo! I am ready for muh beer :) Loves You!!